I just sent my dear hubby off to work after having him home for five days straight. To kick off our holiday season, I loaded him up with a couple dozen of my Orange-Infused Madeleine Cookies for his co-workers to enjoy today.
I should preface this recipe with the fact that I chose to bake these cookies for my 1st Annual Cookie Monster Christmas Cookie Exchange, which I hosted last Sunday. I actually needed a minimum of 12 dozen cookies, but I ended up with many more!
Here’s my funny (but long-winded) tale… skip to the bottom for the recipe, if you’re in a hurry.
– I first baked a 2-dozen test batch, in which I found I needed to add more orange flavouring. Thankfully I had a very willing 3-year old taster who readily gobbled up a dozen that afternoon.
– Then when baking a double batch a few days later, I only got 6-dozen cookies from the recipe. No problem, but I was out of eggs… and low on butter.
– A few days later while baking a second, double batch (after buying more eggs), I forgot to add the melted butter at the end, and left it cooling in the freezer. However, I got some very tasty French macaroon-like cookies as a bonus, and will definitely repeat that mistake again in the future… with a piping bag and macaroon filling handy!
– Finally I completed the task that same day with the last 6-dozen that were thankfully perfect.
BUT… I ended up with TWENTY dozen cookies in the end. More for sharing!
See I told you it was a long story… 🙂
Sometimes great things come out of little mistakes… but only sometimes.
Before attempting Madeleine cookies, you need to make an investment in a couple of molded-cookie pans. I picked mine up at my favourite local kitchen store, D.A. Niels on Berry Street here in Winnipeg. They had a wide selection of choices – at different prices points. I liked the idea of the smaller shell-shapes (for $9 each) as opposed to the larger $25 pans.
Orange-Infused Madeleine Cookies
yields: about 24 small cookies
2/3 cup Flour
½ teaspoon Baking Powder
½ cup Butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon Orange Extract
*Grand Marnier would also work
1 teaspoon Orange Zest, finely grated
1 cup Powdered (Icing) Sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 350*F, and set your oven rack into the higher middle position.
2. Using a Madeleine pan, spray your pan(s) lightly with Pam.
3. Sift together flour and baking powder in small bowl – set aside.
4. In the mixer’s bowl, beat eggs, orange extract and orange peel on high for 5 minutes.
5. Gradually add in the powdered sugar, and beat another 5 minutes.
6. Turn down your mixer to low, and gently fold in your flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
7. Fold in your cooled, melted butter, then mix gently on a slightly higher speed for about a minute, until smooth.
8. Spoon the mixture into the cups, filling about ¾ full, or you’ll end up with an overly mounded cookie. Wipe any excess batter off of the sides of the pan before baking.
9. Bake approximately 8 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.
10. Cool in the pan for 2 minutes. Loosen cookies with a knife, then invert the pan on a rack to cool the cookies fully.
11. When cool, sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar. I used an old-fashioned flour sifter to do this, but you could also use icing sugar in a sieve.
If you’ve made Madeleine Cookies before,
what flavours have you used?
Please feel free to share your experiences in the Comments area below.