So my dear husband, who never ever calls in sick… is home sick today with a bad head cold. Our pups, who wanted to be featured today are so accommodating and work great as “nurses”! We just have to call “nap time” and they are right there to cuddle.
I was feeling bad for my hubby last night when he went to bed at 830pm, so I prepped some homemade soup and tucked it away – just in case.
1/2 Spicy Italian Sausage, raw
12 Baby Carrots, chopped
1 Celery Stalk, chopped
3 cups Broth (any kind)
2 tablespoons Pasta Stars
1 tablespoon Minced Onion, dried
3 cloves Fresh Garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Lime Juice
1 teaspoon Veggie Spice Blend
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Bring the broth to a boil.
2. Add vegetables, and cook for 5-10 minutes.
3. Remove the sausage’s casing and pinch off 1/2 inch ‘meatballs’, adding them to the boiling broth as you go. Cook for another 5-10 minutes.
4. Add pasta stars and cook another 5-10 minutes. Squeeze in some lime juice at the end to finish.
NOTE: This time I didn’t cook them separately, and the stars got very large and plump overnight. Thankfully, I didn’t lose too much broth liquid.
5. Cool to room temperature, and place in fridge overnight to amaze someone the next day with a quick to reheat lunch.
6. Serve with a great slice of artisan bread. This one I slathered with my tummy-tempting, homemade chevre cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.
And for dessert… Deb’s Whipped Shortbread cookies. I had one, and Mr. Sicko had THREE! But more about all our cookie options following yesterday’s Cookie Monster Christmas Cookie Exchange on another LunchFor1 Post.
Jeff was VERY patient in waiting for me to photograph his LunchFor1 today! Thanks honey – feel better soon.
What do you like to eat when you’re feeling under the weather?
Please feel free to share your ideal comfort food in the Comments section.